Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summilux for an SL2
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:28:34 -0800

on 11/27/03 9:26 PM, Eric Welch at eric@jphotog.com wrote:

> The first two of the three cams are missing.
>
> On Nov 26, 2003, at 11:16 PM, Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>
>> thanks so much for the reply...  what makes an R-only bayonet
>> versus one which works with the leicaflexes?
> Eric
> Carlsbad, CA

Not exactly.  What Eric is describing is a 3rd-cam lens.  Some 3rd-cam
lenses have an R-only bayonet and some have a Leicaflex bayonet.

For example the 50mm Summicron-R I used to have was originally a 3rd-cam
lens and was marked "FOR LEICA-R ONLY".  It had a Leicaflex bayonet and all
it needed to be turned into a 3-cam lens was the first and 2nd cams.  It
even had the screw holes for mounting the Leicaflex metering cams.

OTOH my 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt also was originally a 3rd-cam lens with an
R-only bayonet.  In addition to the cams the 280 needed either a replacement
bayonet flange or some machine work on the R-only flange.

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> ([Leica] View from work)