Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:23:00 +0000

Hi Mark,
I am sure it does - I think bigger is better in both cases - however I
do not thing same size is equivalent. Many customers faced with a
picture taken by a digital P&S are impressed and consider it good
enough. Would they have been happy with a cheap camera using minox size
film and a cheap wobbly zoom lens, I think not? I get results which
satisfy me from a sensor 22 mm wide, this is smaller than film. Many
photographers more experienced than me consider 35mm film sized sensors
to give results comparable to 6x4.5 MF.
I think bigger is better but as big as Hasselblad is not necessary for
most users if they use digital. Hasselblad sized digital backs cost
$20,000 so why keep a Hasselblad if you are happy with a camera which
costs a fraction, with a wider range of cheaper lenses - which are
pretty good (My 500 Canon is clearly better than my 280 f2.8 Leica BTW)
Sensors like the Nikon D100 and canon 10D compete reasonably with 35mm
film IMO.
What am I saying?
Bigger is better, digital or film.
Digital sensors do not need to be quite as big as film for comparable
results so D100 = 35mm and EOS 1Ds = 6x4.5
Don't expect results as good as a Leica from any P&S digital with a
wobbly zoom and minuscule sensor. When you look at what they are
working with the results are impressive though.
I expect the Leica digital back to be better than 35mm film with the
only disadvantage being the effective change in magnification.
cheers
Frank