Subject: [Leica] Compulsive consumerism?
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:58:17 -0800 (PST)

Sam,

What kind of strange frugality would make a person go
through life dragging all past purchases around like a
ball and chain? I think of selling things as a kind of
"virtual storage", only instead of piling up boxes of
underutilized stuff in my closets, I store them on the
open market! And who among us doesn't change over the
years? Once upon a time, a Camaro, a Farrah 'do and
Duran Duran didn't seem like bad ideas.

As for why folks feel compelled to justify their
switch to (non-Leica) digital: Sam, never
underestimate the human mind's power to rationalize
just about anything: Juggle the facts around a bit,
add creative spin, and almost you too can make a
luxury purchase seem like a necessity; another
"can't-live-without". Probably the most honest reason
a person could give is "I bought it because I wanted
it". This is actually the FUN attitude to take because
you're allowed to get all wide-eyed over a shiny new
toy, and if it so happens that said toy is useful and
makes you money, that's a bonus. I was taking my first
digital photographs around 1986, but didn't get my
first Leica until a few years later, so if anything,
it's the Leica that's the shiny new toy for me!

Jeff

>Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:28:48 -0500
>From: sam <sam@osheaven.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with
Vario-Elmarit lens

[stuff deleted]

>but it is a bit much when person after person begins
>selling their Leica gear because of compulsive
>consumerism--and write message after message
explaining
>their choice for the LUG. And I REALLY do look
forward >to those sold film cameras coming on the
market at >absurdly low prices.