Subject: [Leica] National Geographic getting better
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:16:35 -0800

BD says it's pretty pictures but I think it's getting better.

1. I buy it at the grocery store. NO more insiders club feeling. Skull
and crossbones Yale white guys.

2. Last months cover was about "surveillance." And it wasn't about
bugging Pigmy huts either.

This month has a Stealth fighter on the cover. They must have been BD on
reading the lug.

I never saw airplanes on the cover of NA before! It was always people
and tree's! No high tech Popular Science stuff! (the other magazine I'd
get the last Thursday of every month growing up as a kid in the 60's)*
I think they've
got new people in there with a more viable modern approach to the whole
thing. It's become more viable. A genetically re-engeeered dinosaur now. Not
the stale relic it has started to look and read like. Not that anybody reads.
Did somebody say they were shying away from digital? I bet that rule is
coming to an end.

One of the shots in there was of a new European jetliner flying over a city.
When you read the blurb they tell you that the "photograph" is computer generated.
In other words you find out that what you thought was "real" was not.
We never had that problem with their drawings!
That plane had not quite gotten off the ground yet!
Mixed feelings about that. Not sure such a thing is a common
journalistic tool. As a matter of fact i think it's not as it throws
doubt on all other "photographs's in the periodical. Which is a
periodical filled with photographs. Which are real and which are
memorex? A challenge we can do without.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

* I'd be engrossed in both right up to dinner in my Dads Naugahyde lounger.

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)
Reply from "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)