Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW (placeholder) dlridings
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:35:51 +0100 (MET)

Thanks Sam,
What I did was ... since the lighting was so lousy anyway, I decided to
accentuate the colors. Instead of using Nikon's color space I or II
(normal/portrait or Adobe RGB), I used III (intended for landscapes ...
strengthens blues and greens). I probably won't do it again when I'm in a
normal rink (with proper lighting). But it was fun to play with.

I'm partial to this one:

http://folk.uio.no/danielr/midnattscupen/pages/DSC_2652.htm

But that's because I've seen it. Think a square with five girls at each
corner. They are all skating, at very high speed, towards the middle where
they all pass each other (without colliding). As if that wasn't hard
enough, two girls from each corner are sling-shoted in first at an even
higher speed. So instead of one intersection in the middle, you have first
8 skaters intersecting at very high speed followed a split second later by
the 12 (3 in each corner) who shot them forward. It looks scary.

No wonder that this particular team has been the dominating team. I think
they've been world champions four out of the last five years. The one year
they missed it (two years ago) was just politics to give someone else a
chance. Talk about wanting revenge (and they got it) last year.

Team Surprise. They'll take it home again this year.

The sport originated in Canada. I know there's some good teams in the US
(Chicago Jazz?). Don't miss a chance to see one of these competitions.
It's difficult to capture as a still picture. Watching the ice is like
watching patterns from a collideascope ... they change constantly.

Best, Daniel