Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:54:45 -0800

><Snip>
>
> Had film photography started out in the small sizes (say 35mm),
> I have my doubts that film sizes like 8x10 even exist today.
>
> - Phong

8x10 exists for reasons other than acreage.
1. A history of negative retouching can be done here that is not
feasible with smaller sheet film sizes and certainly roll film. Not
everyone does Photoshop. The Crocein Scarlet in Photoshop does not hug
the emulsion quite the same.
Check out the work of George Hurrell for one genre for this format.
http://www.hollywoodcelebrityphotographs.com/
2. And sheet films are shot in view cameras which have control of
perspective and focus.
3. An 8x10 camera has a groundglass which is like a nice monitor because
of it's nice larger size.. Much easier to deal with than smaller sheet
film or roll film sized ground glasses at the backs for view cameras
which require a loup to feel like you are seeing anything. I think you
feel more like you are looking at your shot before you get it only it is
up side down.
4. Making for Less of a need for Polaroids.
5. Oh and 8x10 Polaroids are a world unto themselves. Real results more
instant than digital.
4x5 Polaroids are puny snapshots.   ... though scannable.
8x10 polaroids are objects of photography.
6. A contact print from an 8x10 neg is another world unto itself. A
contact print is self masking and with an obvious not need of an
enlarging lens making it in a sense not a full generation beyond the
neg. They can make an 3D almost looking silver print and can be
contacted on Platinum, palladium and gum bichromate and a myriad other
alternate processes.
Comparisons between inkjet and platinum would in most cases be hard on
the inkjet. And sounds better. And stores better.
7. People will gladly strip naked for you at the spur of the moment on
the corner of Broadway and 1st avenue during rush hour if you point an
8x10 view camera at them and climb behind it.
No so with rollfilm and lessor sheet film. This has been proven. An 8x10
view camera commands a respect other cameras are not in the league of.
This makes photo subjects act differently and the people watching the
shoot act differently and the recipient of the print act differently. If
you have images of them all taking their cloths off that is not my intent.
8. Cut and But technique. A still highly regarded layout technique where
they contact print the printing plates I think from the original 8x10
transparency.
9. All or none of the above.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA