Subject: RE: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:40:13 +0800

Hi

Wat that is interesting is that Leica managed to "con" David Alan Harvey
into playing along with them.
If he REALLY likes it (somehow, I doubt!), then my bet is most of us
would, too....

This is from dpreview.com. Funny I can't find this on the Leica
website.....:

Hanns-Peter Cohn, Chairman of Leica Camera AG:
"When you think of real photography, you think of craftsmanship, magic
moments and a conscious use of technology. The LEICA DIGILUX 2
represents a commitment to photographic craftsmanship. The positive
handling of tradition, even in product development, is also a basis for
products that retain their value over time, as is normal for Leica in
the analogue world. In this day and age, it is a counterpoint to the
mainstream of automation, virtualisation and miniaturisation. It is a
counter concept to photo mobiles and photo computers, without losing the
advantages of digital technology. The most important things to us are
the final picture and creativity, not the question of whether the
picture takes an analogue or digital route. In the mature digital
photography market, there is room for solutions that bring together the
traditional and the modern. I believe that the LEICA DIGILUX 2 is a
digital camera in the old photographic style!"

Gero Furchheim, Division Manager Corporate Communications, Leica Camera
AG:
"We commissioned the Magnum photographer David Alan Harvey to take a
portfolio of photos for us with the new LEICA DIGILUX 2. I met him on a
reportage assignment for National Geographic France in Louisiana, to
show him an initial prototype. David is a Leica M photographer, who uses
a minimum of equipment. At our meeting in a Cajun pub, he had no time
for technical explanations. He simply wanted to try out the camera and
learn to use it intuitively. He set the shutter speed, aperture and
flash in the way he was familiar with from the LEICA M6. After ten
minutes he came back. In the can was an atmospheric photo of dancers and
an accordion player. David was extremely satisfied with the picture and
accepted the camera as a digital extension of his M equipment."

Boon Hwee