Subject: RE: [Leica] R Lenses on Canon bodies?
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:15:09 -0500

Howard,

With such adapters, you lose some functionalities,
most notably auto-focus, and metering is stop down only.
Also, not all R lenses can be adapted to all EOS
bodies.

Stephen Gandy (http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm)
has more details, and also sells the adapters.

I have used such an adapter with my R lens on a Canon D30,
and then Canon 10D, and the biggest problem I have is
manual focus is tiring on the eyes,  as the viewfinder
of these cameras are not optimized for manual focusing.
It is quite a change, a very disappointing one, if you
compare with the Leica R8, for example.  I assume when
I upgrade to the 1Ds, I could change to a focus
screen designed for manual focusing.

Hope that helps,

- - Phong