Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48: A stroll around Seville
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:47:58 -0800

Nathan Wajsman showed:
Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48: A stroll around Seville

G'day Nathan,
Colour or B&W you always have the "eye" for content & composition. Well
done.
> First, a side street to Calle Betis in the old part of Seville, called
> Triana:  > http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_48.jpg

The balance in this picture is quite interesting as most elements are in odd
numbers whichever direction the eye goes. But for me one very interesting
point is........ the camera is held straight!!! ;-) In this situation with
so many verticals it would be a shame not to have the camera as close to
perfect as possible, even hand held. Any tilting the slightest bit and the
feel of the picture would screw-up.

But all the lines are parallel and vertically correct. Some might consider
this a mute point, but in a composition like this it's one of the strong
points of the picture, apart from the colours. The person walking in against
the sign direction was the "lucky factor" ;-) we all need. :-)

 > A lady cleans her balcony on Calle Niebla, along which I walk in the
> morning on the way to my office: >
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_48alt1.jpg

The unfortunate element here is it's "a little bulls eye" with the sweeper
almost dead centre.  But shooting people, one doesn't have the luxury of
"non moving peeling paint" and the photographer usually gut reacts to the
scene and shoots by instinct. It's still has a nice feel.

> A bar sign with white pigeons, also on Call Niebla (this may not be up
> to Doug Herr's standards for bird photography, though. :-)
> http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_48alt2.jpg<

I don't think Doug has anything to worry about. ;-)

> A side wall of a church in the neighbourhood called La Macarena:
> http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_48alt3.jpg

Bingo!!! You win the prize on this....almost. :-( However.... yeah here
comes the nit-picking! ;-)

And I bet you know exactly what it is considering the million dollar
potential of this situation, "If only a split second " and the lady wasn't
looking at you would be 100% perfect. And even if she's not looking directly
at you it appears she is and that turn of the head takes the perfect edge
off a perfect photograph. Like it's only 99.9999% perfect.

It maybe nit picking on my part but that's life in the hard and fast lane of
photography. It's still a damn fine picture though! :-) And a very good eye
to see and re-act immediately.

ted

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48: A stroll around Seville)