Subject: RE: [Leica] Hawk Hill Adventure
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:23:32 -0500

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> There on the fence, staying out of the cloud filled air, was a single red
> tailed Hawk.  He was there for maybe 30 seconds till he noticed us and
> decided he would rather be alone.  Off he flew.  I would like to think he
> was there to greet us.  Maybe he was there to say thanks for coming up to
> see this magnificent place.  Maybe he just plain wanted to get us sucked
> in further for a repeat visit.

Hawk Hill is like that - regardless of the weather there's always a good
chance of real excitement.  One day this fall I decided against a trip to
the Hill 'cuz the weather was marginal, traffic through Marin County sucks
Big Time, and there were TONS of chores demanding attention.  The next day
I checked the daily report - big mistake - on the GGRO website
(www.ggro.org) and the report starts with something like "If you weren't on
the hill today you'd better have a real good excuse...".  Turns out that
despite the marginal weather several rare hawks flew past, including a
Peregrine Falcon that circled the hill for 15 minutes at eye level, and a
spotted owl perched just below the hill most of the day in plain view.

See ya there next fall.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com