Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: 35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:38:00 -0800

Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> In reality, the stop process is gradual, albeit a fast one. After checking
> as many of the other possible variables, that was the one which made the
> difference for me.
> When Steve Simmons had a 4x5 workshop here in LA, the big question for
> discussion was the hyper-sensitivity of T-max. One person even found that
> holding the tank would give a process time shift. Another commented on the
> effects of exhausted fix on the contrast, leaving the emulsion looking muddy
> and producing flat looking films. The list, or gripping, went on.
> What I took for gospel with other films, I had to rethink with T-max
> emulsions. An then, never mind the modifications Kodak would make with the
> film without telling anyone about it, which one would discover only after
> the fact.
> Slobodan Dimitrov
>
> ----------
> >From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
> >To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> >Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS:  35mm color vs. the tyranny now.. T-max dev.
> >Date: Sun, Dec 7, 2003, 2:58 PM

I can't or won't get into the kodak tab grain films because they are so
thick in medium format and scratch in my Hasselblad backs which are
optimized for thinner films meaning any other films than T-Max films
which I think are way thicker than any other film including color
transparency. And also because of that they can not be made in 220 which
i find indispensable. 12 on a roll doesn't keep my attention. 24 and I
feel like I'm starting to rock and roll. Maybe get a shot worth printing
for all that trouble.

I don't think stop bath or lack of can do anything to the curve or
contrast of negatives that you'd ever see in a print, even a very large print.

MY other problem with T-Max was the "pinkies" but when i went with a two
bath fix system as i do with paper the problem went away. My second fix
bath is almost fresh fixer and I think of that second fix bath as my
"clearing bath" getting rid of any residual pink and also any silver
taken into solution by the first fix and re plated back onto the film.

Two bath fix sounds like overkill or just too much but to know for sure
that you're film is really fixed and there will be no muddy look or need
for putting the film back onto the reels again to fix some more is such
a relief. A relive to get it right the first time.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

No Archive