Subject: RE: [Leica] On making Art
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:44:00 -0500

Hi Jim,

> Art is the expression of an emotion through a technique.

I can almost go with that, except, "technique" seems to
be a place holder to hang "valid" on.  Good art implies
mastery of a technique, for sure, but I am afraid I do not
judge art by the technique, I don't think.

Art or not, I find a message devoid of technique far more
interesting to a technique devoid of a message.  So I rather
focus on the message.

Anyway, I think on one side, people object to unnecessary
constraints to fit someone else's definition of "valid" art,
and on the other side  people are turned off by the pretention
of it all.

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] On making Art)