Subject: [Leica] A Question of Which 90 Especially the 90mm 4.0 for CL
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:59:09 -0500

I have extensive experience with both the 90-C and the "Skinny"
Tele-Elmarit-M; they both perform admirably and they are approximately
the same size and shape.  In the archives you will find extensive
discussions of the "Skinny" T-E-M; some people love it...as I do...and
many people hate it.  It seems to have suffered from huge quality
variations over it's production run and they can be subject to fogging,
fungus, or unusual flare.  Mine, which suffers from none of these
maladies and will never be for sale, is German made, serial #3452222.

If you favor a lens which is small and light, then a "Skinny" which has
no fog or fungus may be the lens for you.  It is not as sharp as either
the awesome 90 Summicron AA or subsequent f2.8/90mms, but it isn't
nearly as big or heavy and is quite sharp enough for most hand-held
purposes.  The 90-C is equally small, perhaps a tad less contrasty in my
experience, but certainly sharp enough for most shooting situations.
Obviously, the 90-C suffers from its 4.0 largest stop, but if that is
not a problem for you, it is a fine choice for a street kit.

The 90-C and some "Skinny" T-E-Ms were issued with a collapsible rubber
lens shade which is my candidate for the worst single item that Leica
has have put before the buying public.  If you gravitate to a 90-C or
"Skinny," make sure you substitute the metal shade 12575 or a similar
after-market hard shade.  Both the 90-C and the "Skinny" T-E REQUIRE A
SHADE.

I would recommend against using any 90mm Elmarit on the CL because of
the short rangefinder base.  If you check the archives, you will also
find that I recommend against using the Leica CL in general because it
is your basic pooch for a lot of reasons which I will be happy to
discuss off-list.

At the end of the day, one must decide what characteristics he or she
wants to optimize; minimum size and weight, maximum aperture, razor
sharpness, sparkling contrast, and (of course) price.  This is a highly
subjective formula which must be devised by the individual photographer.

	Buzz Hausner