Subject: Re: [Leica] It's NOT snowing
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:42:12 -0500

At 08:44 AM 12/10/03 +0100, Daniel Ridings wrote:
>Went out on my second floor porch before I started working. Homer has the
>best description of this. I'm just imitating (memesis/imitatio). In
>antiquity and the middle ages, the best art was a copy of what was
>considered the best art ... the underlying idea being if you can't do
>better than the master, don't bother trying to copy. Vergilius picked up
>the challenge against Homer (and lost).

Well, that is a matter of taste more than an absolute.  I do prefer the
ODYSSEY to the AENEID, but, then, Dante has his moments, as well.  There
are damned few decent epic authors, and we must accept Homer,  Lucretius,
Vergil, Dante, Spenser, and Milton for their own virtues.  Personally, I
prefer Lucretius to the others but, then, I am an Epicurean, and Carpe Diem!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!