Subject: RE: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:55:19 -0500

Kyle,

Re. http://www.nerve.com/Dispatches/Martin/Face_premium/Face_text.asp

Is it art ?  No.  I think the photos I find it thought
provoking, but not "pretty" enough.  I am sorry that it
offends Ted and Tina and Steve B. that the link is posted
to the LUG, but I think it brought some insights  about
the nature of art.

Kyle, you are my hero.  You are still my hero, even
though I dig some of the stuff over at onemodelplace;
I object over the quality rather the nature of the
photography there.  And I would certainly rather have
a photo of a nude woman, than say a war photo on my wall.

Which brings us back to the question:  what do people object
in pornography ?  I assume that the objection it is not just
about unclothed women.  What _is_ the fine line between art and
pornography then ?  What is the difference between naked and
nude ?  What is art ?  Are the stone carvings in the temples
at Khajuraho less a work of art than the Gothic cathedrals
in medieval Europe ?

If you are not familiar with Khajuraho, check it out.
It's the Kama Sutra in stones, the Angkor Wat of Sex.

Samples from Khajuraho stone carvings (Warning: nudity, sexual
penetration, masturbation, etc.)
http://www.savory.org/phil/images/Khajuraho/Khajuraho_image1.html
http://www.savory.org/phil/images/Khajuraho/Khajuraho_image11.html
http://www.liveindia.com/khajuraho/2.html
http://www.liveindia.com/khajuraho/6.html

- - Phong

Emotions can be latent and subconcious.  You don't have
to actually feel it at the moment but it is still there when
you photograph.  Freeman Patterson made me realize this.

Replies: Reply from Mike Durling <durling@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography)
Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography)
Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography)