Subject: Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: =?windows-1252?Q?RUBEN_BL=C6DEL?= <ruben@rhodos.dk>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:17:54 +0100

Pornography: a portrayal of erotic behavior designed to cause sexual
excitement
Art: well the past days we have had hundreds of definitions on that
Thin line?? in this case very thick line!
As most art today is conceptual - big French painters of the 19th
century was at their time conceptual too, it is the concept of the
cumshot-exhibition and not the darkroom work that has to be considered.
What is the idea behind the project - does the creation of this
exhibition change our minds - do we stop to think - reflect - are we
provoked.
I am certainly not provoked - I could not care less if it was ketchup
they were smothered in.
Semen is not offensive - Nudity is not offensive
It is offensive that so many percent of the internet is covered with
pictures unhappy teens in cumshot-scenes only to make some few
disgusting men richer and a lot of fools excited.
If this exhibit can make us stop up and think instead of sticking the
head in the bush, then it is fine with me.
The pictures certainly takes of the erotica of cumshots if the ever were
an element of erotica in that concept
The pictures are in another way strong - how would any of you look if
you had just been covered with semen - would you laugh - cry - vomit -
pretend nothing happened?
I don't think that one should be turned of or on by art photography - it
is just as good to be an art photographer as a photojournalistic
photographer - some one on this list stated that they never thought of
Kyle as an art photographer as that was something bad - it is not - but
there are bad artist and bad photographers!