Subject: Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:02:19 -0800

><Snip>
> "tension" than others. After the debate was over, the prof then revealed
> that all the paintings had been painted by chimpanzes. Along with being
> really teed off that we had been "had", it certainly made some of us stop
> and think about what "art" was. I still don't know, really. There is no
> answer other than the answer from future generations. Mozart 200+ years
> later is still incrediable. This guy will be gone, just a "phootnote"....
> But it's nice to see photography debates along with single malt discussions
> ;-)

I don't know perhaps you thought the joke was on you but you were asked
to compare paintings not painters. If you were asked to make assumptions
on the painters based on the paintings and you said stuff like "I think
they guy is an accountant in his spare time and had an idyllic
childhood" then you'd have certainly stepped in it.
But a better painting is a better painting I don't care if it's trained
seals doing water colors with their flippers!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> (Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography)