Subject: Re: [Leica] re: nachwey injured in iraq
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:01:15 -0800

B. D. Colen offered:

> Hey - How 'bout 'you go Michael' - who lost his right hand while saving
> Nachtwey's life and the lives of a couple of other people in the Humvee?>

Great presence of mind by the journalist in reacting quick enough to the
situation, given he'd only have seconds to get it..... in the dark ... and
throw it away as far as possible before exploding.

Unfortunately not far enough from his hand. :-(

As exciting as "war photographer" sounds to many people, photographers and
writers get hurt and killed also. One thing I learned was "whatever you do
always be ready like a coiled spring to re-act!"

Being alert for the unexpected was the only way to survive and if you
aren't, it maybe your last unexpected moment. :-(

And so many things come to mind about being lucky and not in the wrong place
at the right time! Obviously, Natchwey, as good as he is with his
experience, got lucky one more time. However one of these days don't be
surprised if..... ? :-(   Cause' playing in the firepit sooner or later one
will get burnt!  Robert Capa comes to mind! :-(

And no amount of Leica's are going to make a difference!

ted