Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V26 #95
From: "Garrettson, Dr. Charles" <CGARRET@thehill.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:27:19 -0500

Hello all. I am looking for advice. My current WA/normal lens lineup is:

35mm Leica ASPH
21mm Voigtlander Skopar
15mm Voigtlander Heliar

which has served me extremely well. In looking towards next year,
however, I have been thinking this:

The latest generation of the Summicron 50 appears to be perhaps the
highest quality lens in the Leica lineup [as Erwin Puts says, for
example: "at f/2.8 it exhibits perfect qualities." I have never seen ANY
reviewer ever make any such comment about any other lens, in my memory.
If I recall correctly, PhotoDo ranks it a 46 or higher--about as high as
it gets for ANY lens, period, etc.]; 28mm would be wider than the 35,
with very little distortion still, and the widest I could go without
needing to use a separate viewfinder, so why not sell the 35mm ASPH and
get a 50 Summicron and the excellent Voigtlander 28 f/1.9 Ultron until I
could afford a 28mm Leica ASPH?
	That, to me, makes a lot of sense, but in perusing Erwin's site
of late, I saw a reference in his article on the 28mm ASPH that the 50mm
Summicron is now last in quality in the Summicron line, behind the 90,
the 28 and the 35. If that is true, then much of my incentive to make
the change is gone.
	I welcome the group's thoughts on any advice anyone might care
to offer: Should I stick with my current lineup or make the change? If
you wish to email me separately, that would be fine.

Many thanks,
Chuck Garrettson