Subject: Re: [Leica] Irwin and PhotoDo Will Only Lead You Into The Wilderness
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Buzz Hausner <buzz.hausner@verizon.net> wrote:

> I absolutely hate this "which lens is highest quality" shtick.
>
> Every lens has its own unique qualities, it is not a matter of the 35
> Summicron is better than the 50 Summicron, that sort of comparison leads
> you nowhere.

Agreed, the only valid reasons (IMHO) to consider bench tests is weed out the 'dogs' from the good stuff.  Any other differences in sharpness etc. are gonna be insignificant compared with the photographer's vision and technique.

A few qualities like flare resistance, bokeh or distortion may have some bearing in certain applications, and mechanical properties or usability can be important too but to worry about whether the 35 is better than the 50 is nonsensical if the perspective of one lens fits the photographer's vision better than the other

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com