Subject: Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:40:44 -0800

By transcend, I mean it has more meaning than just communicating what
is literally in front of the lens (or in the mind of the painter, etc.)

Some of the hardest things to photograph are emotions, moods, feelings.
And yet, the best photographers can do it with almost any subject.
Edward Weston with peppers, Ansel Adams with rocks and trees, Gene
Smith with dead bodies...

:-)

Eugene Richards photographed his wife dying of cancer. That was as
moving a piece of work as I've ever seen. The book was titled (I think)
"Exploding into Life." Or something like that. Worth a look to see how
feelings and emotions can be expressed with a camera - and how
photographs can transcend the literal subject in front of the lens.

On Dec 12, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Phong wrote:

> I am not sure what you mean by transcending lust, as opposed
> to love, joy, courage, etc.  Lust would make a fascinating
> subject.  Salome, anyone ?  I bet one of the classical
> painters have done Salome before.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

'Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"  - Tom Clancey