Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:RE: Photoshop 7.0 for Mac OS
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:55:09 -0800

Well, being a graduate of economics, you should be aware of the concept
of "whatever the market will bear."

But on the other hand, Adobe has laid of employees and they have even
once forced employees to take a week's vacation without pay. Does that
sound like a company with excessive amounts of money?

Well, okay, in this age of greed it could very well be.

But their profits have been down until this past quarter.

How did I calculate the cost of their software? If you bought each
application seperately just a few months ago, it would be very
expensive. Probably more than $2000. Photoshop was what? $700?
Illustrator almost $400? And GoLive is more than $400 and InDesign is
over $600 (note Quark is over $1000, and it's not as good), and then
there's Acrobat Pro which is well over $400. So it's closer to $2,500!
And then there's the new program in the suite called Version Cue.

I use Photoshop professionally every single day of my working life.
Ever since 1992. So I spend $99 to $150 upgrading it ever 18 months or
so. That's a bargain for a program that makes me a living, and I enjoy
using. Of course, I lucked out and bought my first copy of Photoshop
from my employer who had put it away because the scanner it came with
was obsolete. I got it for $50 worth of software I gave them. And they
had never registered it, so Adobe had no problem with my registering it
in my name. So with all these upgrades, I'm just hitting about $700.
(Not counting the fact that I just spent $379 for all of the programs
together for the education price.)

On Dec 13, 2003, at 12:47 PM, Félix López de Maturana wrote:

> Again, I sincerely believe price do not correspond to real costs but to
> selling opportunities. I may be wrong but only Adobes know. BTW in
> 1965 some
> not very clever university made me a graduated in Economics.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. - Will Rogers.