Subject: [Leica] OT- War Photography
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:46:19 -0800

With war and war photographers in the news and on the LUG lately, I thought
I'd pose a question.

I just started reading the book "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley.  I
am not into it enough to comment on the book itself, but it got me thinking
of war photos.  What is the first photo that comes to mind when you think of
a particular war?  I might suggest two photos that come to my mind about two
wars.

WWII was before my time, but I think the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi photo
which this book is about is probably the single photo that comes to my mind.
Another candidate might be Eisenstaedt's sailor kiss photo on V-J day.

Vietnam is definitely in my time frame and the photo that comes to mind that
symbolizes that war is the young girl burned by napalm running down the
road.

I really don't have any other photos for any other wars in mind.  When I was
much younger I would play soldier and was interested in all the weapons of
early wars.  Built model airplanes and the like.  After experiencing
Vietnam, I no longer have any interest in those things.  No longer obsessed
by man's ability to kill man.  Saw enough of that, so photos no longer stick
in my mind.

Anyone else have photos that define a particular war?

Aram

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] OT- War Photography)