Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50: Waiting for Sinterklaas
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:00:11 -0600

Michiel

This is also a German tradition.  Our German Exchange daughter this year
told us about it when we asked her why she was putting one of her shoes
outside her bedroom door on the 5th.  She was happy to see that St.
Nicholas was able to find her the next morning.  ;-)

Gene

                      Michiel Fokkema
                      <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>        To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50: Waiting for Sinterklaas
                      -alto.ca.us

                      12/15/2003 01:01 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Actually Sinterklaas is a saint. It is supposed to be saint Nicholas who
was a great friend of children. The Dutch word 'sint' means saint.
Sinterklaas comes to Holland around the middle of November by boat from
Spain. Children are then aloud to set there shoe, they have to sing some
Sinterklaas songs. In the morning there is a small present in the shoe.
Sinterklaas is accompianed by a white horse and Zwarte Piet and travels
over the roofs of the houses. He knows everything about the behavior of
all the children. On the 5th of December he brings presents to all the
children who behaved the last year. The children that didn't behave will
be put into a sack and taken back to Spain.
As far as I know this very old custom is restricted to Holland and the
North of Belgium. Unfortunate this custom is under severe attack of
santa claus.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema