Subject: Re: [Leica] new toy
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:32:32 -0600

The photo of the Land Rover brings back old memories.  The one of the Caddy
into the sun - how do you figure it is into the sun?  It is not any where
near it from what i can tell.

Gene

                      "Neal Friedenthal"
                      <neal@nairobisafari.com>            To:       "Rollei users group" <rollei@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>, "leica users group"
                      Sent by:                             <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  [Leica] new toy

                      12/13/2003 02:17 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

I figured that I'd been a good boy this year so I deserved a new toy for
Christmas. So I went to our favorite on line auction site and bought a
brand new, now don't laugh, Kiev 88 CM kit and the 30mm
f3.5 fisheye lens for it. The package came yesterday and I was pleasantly
surprised, the camera looked great and felt good. The fit and finish were
both excellent, the mechanics worked well.
Everything looked and sounded tight and well made, not at all what I
expected from the older Kievs that I had come into contact with in the
past. So I rushed out today and tried it out mostly with the
30mm of course, although I did try out the 80mm f2.8 also.
Both the shots here are with the 30mm and both are of similar subjects, one
with the sun to my back and the other into the sun, the results were very
impressive

Shot one "Say AAAHH" was with the sun to my back;

http://photoneal.com/photos/misc/tn/sayahq.jpg.html

Shot two, "Old Caddie", into the sun, upper right in the picture, only a
couple of reflections in the lower left with a slight flair in the lower
left corner. Not bad for any lens this extreme.

http://photoneal.com/photos/misc/tn/1caduA.jpg.html

All in all I'm pretty impressed with this outfit especially considering
that an entire system costs less than one lens for my Leica.

Neal F