Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW- Bris
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:15:54 +0100 (MET)

> Just got back from my nephew's bris.  Here is my submission:
> http://www.faneuil.net/max/pages/crop0029.htm
>
> Young man behind the rabbi is the father (my brother)
> Notice the women UPSTAIRS.
> The mom was not allowed to approach the dais/alter.
> She had to watch from several hundred feet away.
> Pretty much why I strayed from the synagogue.

Aha ... circumcision. I was sure it was a two word term.

I'm not Jewish but when my children were born, I wanted them circumcised.
Unusual (then) in Sweden. The local hospital wanted to put them to sleep
and make a big deal out of it. No way, I thought. I don't want them
knocked out. That's dangerous. Called the rabbi and he agreed (there is a
procedure for cutting goy's).

What you wrote about the mom ... boy do I ever remember that. My wife was
not thrilled, talk about giving me looks. She came along, but she waited
out of sight.

Then I had another son ... same ritual. Was I ever glad when the third one
was a daughter!

Daniel