Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Miserable Failure
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:18:05 -0500

"Conflict of interest"
I think this is one of those things that is way over used and cared
about.  First, I would never spend what is to me a large amount of money
solely on an individual's recommendation.  Second, if someone is closely
allied with a company then frequently they will know more about what
they are talking about.

Specifically, talking about Erwin, I own a large number of lenses that
he wrote about in his book.  Looking at the slides or negatives from
those lenses, he uses language very well to describe the performance of
a lens that matches my experience.  So, whether he is or is not in a
companies pocket really doesn't matter to me, the information he brings
to the table has been accurate and useful.

Generalizing a bit, if what an individual espouses is accurate and
useful, then I don't give a rats a-- whether they are in the pocket of
anybody.  Likewise, if someone espouses nonsense, then whether they are
lily white and unsullied doesn't change the fact that their information
is useless drivel.

In summary, use your brain, confirm for yourself, check the facts, and
have a happy life.

;)

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

> I believe that it is nobody's business to which companies one has
> connections. And yes, more power to those who have made such
> connections.

Ever hear of the concept of conflict of interest? If someone has a
connection to a company,and does not disclose that connection, but poses
as someone offering
"friendly" advice onthat equipment, then that is a conflict of interest.

Replies: Reply from eric@jphotog.com ([Leica] Conflict of Interest)