Subject: [Leica] Re: mobile phones (WAS: Film is not dead!)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:07:33 -0800 (PST)

Oops, guys, I didn't mean that cell phones are a useless status symbol
*now*. They are indispensable to many people, as you say.

I was referring to when they first came out. At that time, having a cell
phone was one of those things a businessperson would show to convey an
impression of success.  Even though they were of limited use until a
critical mass of people had them. In the early days, most cell calls were:

"Hi, Susan, I'm on my way back to the office now.  Should be there in 15
minutes. Click."

"Hi, Susan, I'll be there in 10 minutes. Click."

"Hi, honey, I'm in the car.  I'll be back at the office in 10 minutes.
Click."

"Hi, Susan, traffic is bad.  I don't thing I'll be  there for another half
hour. Click."

"Hi, honey. Wow, this traffic is terrible.  I don't thing I'll be there
for another half hour. Click."

. . . and so forth.  Occasionally the "click" would be replaced by a
"crunch" as Mr. Big rear-ended the car in front of him.  :-)

- --Peter Klein
Seattle

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: mobile phones (WAS: Film is not dead!))
Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: mobile phones (WAS: Film is not dead!))