Subject: Re: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:57:07 -0800 (PST)

For what it's worth. . .  While we were in St. Louis last October, we
visited Union Station.  This is the city's grand old train station, no
longer used for that purpose.  It was saved by historic preservation
folks, who allowed it to be developed into a mall.

On a sign outside the entrance, there was a sign listing all the things we
Must Not Do.  Along with the usual stuff, the sign said that no
photography was permitted.

The station was an interesting place, so I would have liked to take a few
photos. But since they explicitly said "no," I didn't.  It did strike me
as absurd that a tourist attraction would prohibit photography.  But OK.

After George's incident photographing in a park, I've given some thought
to what I'd do if challenged while photographing. I hope I would respond
courteously, like the gentleman at the boat yard.  More flies are caught
with honey than with vinegar.

As for a regular member of the public, I'd probably say that it was my
perfect right to photograph in a public place, but if they really didn't
like it, I'd stop.  "Oh, by the way, I think I got a great shot of you.
Here's my address, send me yours and I'll send you a print."  (Thanks,
Ted).  If they insisted, I'd invite them to call a police officer, just as
I did the other day with the driver of the VW van that hit the bus
shelter.

If someone got truly threatening, I would do anything necessary to avoid
bodily harm, though I'd try to mollify them with the film before giving up
the camera.  They I'd go straight to the police myself. The same goes for
private security people on public property.

It's just very sad that we have to be discussing this at all.

- --Peter