Subject: Re: [Leica] OT-- Films about Canada
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:24:06 -0700

On 2004-01-05 <mstoesz@wyoming.com (Mike Stoesz)> thoughtfully wrote:

>Good day;
>
>Since my daughter will be spending nearly a year in NS fall
>2004-spring 2005, we are searching for movies/films that portray
>Canada and Canadian society and customs.  Of particular interest are
>films that deal with the Atlantic Provinces --  Nova Scotia, New
>Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Cape Breton, Gailic culture, and
>Acadian culture.
>
>A web search turns up very little although we did watch a comedy last
>night "Men with Brooms".
>
>Do any of our Canadian members have suggestions?  Amy would be
>appreciated.  Especially movies filmed in Canada by Canadians.
>
>We will be touring from Wyoming to NS and return via  Maine in Aug.
>2004 and will be accompanied by an adequate supply of Rolleis and
>Leicas and film.
>
>Many thanks;
>
>Mike
>--

They made the "Anne of Green Gables" TV films on PEI by the CBC I think. I don't know if you can buy them. I have a neice who married into the family who is from PEI. They live in Ft MacMurry now. I'll ask them.

And there is a comedy "Rare Birds" with a plot that involves the "sighting" of a rare bird to improve business at a restaurant somewhat out in the boonies of NS (I think.)

Something tells me that made "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" into a film, at least I remember reading that they did, but I figured it couldn't possibly live up to the book so I sort of pushed it off my mental landscape. (It's a delightful book with some great scenes. I'll remember the hopeful sculpins looking up 'til the day I day. And the coffee made without benefit of water that packed a real punch.)

Adam