Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Digilux 2 images on Leica-Camera.com
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:56:17 +0100

>Hi Felix,
>
>I have had a Sony 828 for two weeks now and to be honest I am not that
>happy
>with it.

>Noise is terrible at anything above ISO 100.  At ISO 400 it is very noisy.
>Even at ISO 100 it is noisier than, say, the Canon G5.

>Like all other Sony cameras, I am not entirely happy with the colour
>rendition.  The red looks odd and skin tones are, in general, too pink and
>red.  It is as if you shot portraits with Fuji Velvia.
>
>I guess having a small 8mp sensor is not the best approach.  My D60 and 10D
>are much better when it comes to image quality.  My 1Ds is in a different
>league, and I am sure you know this already!
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Bests,
>
>Joseph

Hola Joseph!

Thanks indeed for your expert opinion. If the Sony would have been my main
digital camera I would have back ordered it but it may be just my "not so
heavy digital equipment". I knew about noise but isn't it the price to pay
for such small sensors? For sure Digilux will have similar issue. I intend
to use it only in 100 ASA or just in case use some software denoiser.

Fringing is another matter. But after such big trumpets with the 1Ds on this
matter and the true resultsa on the field that weren't so big I was
sceptical about the amount of colour fringing. Colour rendition is OK seeing
the samples as I shoot mainly landscape, architectural and trip pictures. Is
my daughter with his digital IXUS that shoot very beautiful family pics. May
be my next granddaughter, in a couple of months, would make me shoot
thousand of family pictures but then the 1Ds will be at work.

Anyway your opinion has made me reflect. First 828 are arriving to my family
shops. Before separating one for me I'll do a test. I've chosen it as my
"small" digital better than the G5 mainly for the wideangle but the other
challenger could be the Dimage A1.

Thanks and best regards

Felix