Subject: Re: [Leica] OT-- Fixing Times
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:37:58 -0800

Dan asked:

> Is film better off being souped with a fixer requiring 6 mins (like
> Agfa-fixer) as compared to rapid-fixers (Kodak) that does the job in 1/3
> the time, or is there actually no difference?<<<

Hi Dan,
 I don't think it makes any difference other than the longer the film's in
the fix it requires a longer wash time. Although in the olden days we always
fixed films for about 6-7 minutes and washed for 30 minutes running water..

But I haven't done that for years since I switched film and paper fix to
"Rapidfix" of some kind by either Ilford or Kodak.  Now it's fixed and out
as soon as it's cleared within a couple of minutes, well rinsed in PERMA
WASH a Hypo Eliminator, then washed in running water for 2 minutes, dried,
filed and printed.
And so far the negs from the past 35? years are still OK.

ted

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] OT-- Fixing Times)
Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] OT-- Films about Canada)
Message from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (RE: [Leica] OT-- Fixing Times)