Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:The amazing SL
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:01:47 -0800 (PST)

Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The SL2 is every bit as robust as the SL
> It's essentially the same camera with a reshaped
> rear and an added pointer for aperture. 99.5% of the
> parts are interchangeable.

I don't think that's accurate.  None of the outer body shell components are interchangeable, the viewfinder eyepiece, lens mount and mirror are different, the ASA/DIN dials turn opposite directions (IIRC) and the SL2 shutter has a design flaw that might appear at the fastest speeds if the camera is left sitting cocked for several hours; the SL doesn't have this problem, which suggests that the shutters are different.  Interchangable parts I know of include the main battery cover, inner and outer portions of the shutter speed dial, and film advance lever.  There may be additional internal parts that are interchangable between the two models but I think 99.5% is a bit of a stretch.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com