Subject: [Leica] Cold in Canada, Cold in Natchitoches
From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:19:28 -0700

> I wonder if the explanation for the apparent correlation between
> drinking and surviving the Estonia disaster is not simply that those
who
> had been drinking were probably the younger and stronger of the lot,
and
> this, rather than their drinking would explain their higher survival
> rates. Plus, they were up partying, hence awake, rather than
sleeping in
> their cabins. Just a thought...
>
> Nathan

Hi Nathan, explanations that really make a lot of sense to me.... so
the  question is whether "the correlation" proves cause and effect,
or, as often in medicine and elsewhere, is it just due to the
juxtaposition of two unrelated variables...(see below**)

we are looking into the intensive care literature, to see if there is
any real data......Steve

> > a couple thoughts... **assuming that there is true documented
increased
> > survival with alcohol in the body...

> > 1. as Doug Herr said... alcohol will cause vasodilation and
increase
> > the rate of heat loss...that's a negative for alcohol..
> >
> > 2. but death with hypothermia often occurs due to cardiac
arrythmia,
> > as the core temperature  decreases through a critical range...
> > possibly alcohol reduces the chance of arrythmia...that's a plus
for
> > alcohol...and that may apply to the specific subgroup you refer
to...
> > that had increased survival...
> >
> > Steve

- ---