Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:The amazing SL
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 07:58:38 -0600

Doug

What is different about the lens mount?  They both use the 2 cam lenses.

Gene

                      Douglas Herr
                      <telyt@earthlink.net>               To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] RE:The amazing SL
                      -alto.ca.us

                      01/06/2004 05:01 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The SL2 is every bit as robust as the SL
> It's essentially the same camera with a reshaped
> rear and an added pointer for aperture. 99.5% of the
> parts are interchangeable.

I don't think that's accurate.  None of the outer body shell components are
interchangeable, the viewfinder eyepiece, lens mount and mirror are
different, the ASA/DIN dials turn opposite directions (IIRC) and the SL2
shutter has a design flaw that might appear at the fastest speeds if the
camera is left sitting cocked for several hours; the SL doesn't have this
problem, which suggests that the shutters are different.  Interchangable
parts I know of include the main battery cover, inner and outer portions of
the shutter speed dial, and film advance lever.  There may be additional
internal parts that are interchangable between the two models but I think
99.5% is a bit of a stretch.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com