Subject: RE: [Leica] The amazing Leicaflex SL
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:22:39 -0600

Gary

It appears that Doug and I disagree with you, the SL compares very nicely
to the M series.  I have had my SL for about 15 years and it has had one
CLA (last year due to the meter lubricant solidifying) and one failure (the
RED Plastic Lens Release button finally broke after 35 years - Cheap
Plastic, just won't last. ;-) ) This I fixed myself with parts supplied by
Leica USA.  I have never understood the reason the Leica SLRs have been
dumped on so much, they are all very well built and are very reliable - At
least mine have been.  Granted I do not stand on them or drag them through
Cow Shit (Sorry Ted), but I do use them out in the field shooting birds and
other wildlife on a regular basis.  As far as their WA lenses, I have no
complaints on the ones I have, and all their R series lenses are very well
made with every bit of the heavy duty construction of the M lenses (with
the exception of the 28-70 zoom).

Gene

                      "Gary Williams"
                      <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.        To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      com>                                cc:
                      Sent by:                            Subject:  RE: [Leica] The amazing Leicaflex SL
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo
                      -alto.ca.us

                      01/06/2004 10:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> Operationally the SL is as close to an M6 as you'll find in an SLR:
> all it has is controls for focus, shutter speed, aperture and film
> transport; the limited-area meter is similar too.  From what I've read

> the R6.2 is a good solid camera, and I have no doubt the FM3a is too.

> The SL gives you the sensory feedback of a Leica, which is a whole
> different thing.

that sounds good. Maybe I should give it a whirl since there's a couple
of these SLs sitting in the second hand camera stores over here where i
live. It would be a good chance to find out for myself wat exactly is
the magic behind that viewfinder of the SL :)

thanks for the info! :)

boon hwee

Several significant differences in the SL and M:  much greater weight of
the SL kit and inferior quality of the R wide angle lenses when compared
to the M system.

With all due respect to the SL, the SL compares to an M much like a mule
compares to thoroughbred.

Gary