Subject: [Leica] re:the amazing sl
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:24:17 -0800 (PST)

They are replaceable but at the factory. the screen
and condenser were sold together as a tape strip
sealed unit with the old set sent in as a trade in.
It was about 90 dollars in 1982!
The SL series had the shutter speed only mask
sandwiched between the screen and condenser while the
SL2 had the aperture and speed mask. I don't think any
of the stock SLs came the split image screen but the
NJ factory converted lots of them in the mid 70s I
think.
Javier

I'm not sure the SL and SL2 screens are fully
interchangable - it has
something to do with the added aperture display in the
SL2.  Feli, I
think you'd do well to borrow an SL2 first (or, find
one at a store) to
see if you really want the split-image focussing aid.
IMHO neither the
split-image thingie or the coarse microprism
surrounding (SL2 standard)
it is big enough to be used easily, but the microprism
w/o the split
image (SL standard) is.  Try practicing in dim light
before committing to
the screen swap.  I have 2 SL2 bodies; I bought one
with the
all-microprism screen already installed, and I had the
other changed to the
all-microprism screen 'cuz the split-image focussing
aid was more of a
distraction than help.  BTW Leica USA no longer has
any SL2 all-microprism
screens, and my black SL2 has the last one Solms had.