Subject: [Leica] re:the amazing sl
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 04:59:43 -0800 (PST)

The 4 major castings - sleeve, mirror box, prism
carrier and tripod socket are different as is the
shutter speed dial and top and top/bottom plate and
mirror/carrier. Other than that I can't think of any
other parts that are different (ok lens release back
catch and a few others) Now considering that the
camera has several hundred parts, I think it comes out
to about 99.5. Also, note that the castings are
different in shape only. They are just as robust as
the SL castings. I don't mean to beat a dead issue,
but to me the SLR represents the mechanical reflex
camera ideal! I sleep with one under my pillow! And so
what if it's not ratcheted.
Javier

I don't think that's accurate.  None of the outer body
shell components
are interchangeable, the viewfinder eyepiece, lens
mount and mirror are
different, the ASA/DIN dials turn opposite directions
(IIRC) and the
SL2 shutter has a design flaw that might appear at the
fastest speeds if
the camera is left sitting cocked for several hours;
the SL doesn't
have this problem, which suggests that the shutters
are different.
Interchangable parts I know of include the main
battery cover, inner and
outer portions of the shutter speed dial, and film
advance lever.  There
may be additional internal parts that are
interchangable between the two
models but I think 99.5% is a bit of a stretch.