Subject: Re: [Leica] Rating film
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:40:09 -0800

Matt Shonfeld wrote:

> I currently use 2x MP's and have been recently told to consider rating
> the film speed differently.  It has been suggested to overexpose B&W
> (Kodak Tri-x 400) to 320 and underxpose tranny film i.e Fuji Velvia 50
> asa to around 70 asa and Fuji Provia 100 to around 125 asa.  Do i then
> push the tranny film +1/3 at process?  Has anyone done this and what
> are the results.  I am looking for more detail in B&W and brighter
> colours on the colour.
>
> Please let me know
> Matt Shonfeld
> www.mattshonfeld.com
>
> --

Instead of paying heed to these opinions why not load up a roll of film,
set it at what the never is on the box and shoot a roll bracketing like
crazy. Look at your results and you'll see if the number on the box is
wrong. It seldom is.
More is not more.
"Less is not more" we already know about!

Underexposing "tranny" film is not quite the issue it's what you expose
FOR!
And that's the highlights - which you don't want to loose because if you
loose them... well you've lost them.

Reasonlessly overexposing black and white film is pointless and damaging
(for good separation). Especially in 35mm.
Its not the worst thing you could do with a sheet of 4x5 in your speed
graphic but in 35mm your goose is cooked.
Why not read some literature - black and white photography Books. Data
guides. Compendiums, manuals.
What I'm seeing now with some of my local friends even is this "learning
by rumor" thing.
In my day we went to the library. Did our homework as it will.
A local friend of mine is always calling me on the phone and saying "a
guy told me to do this. Buy this." That's not how I learned photography.
There's a lot of bad photographic advise out there. Behind the counters
in the camera stores. On the internet. On the bus. We learn by doing but
some bad advise can really throw us off.
Over exposing 35mm black and white film just for the hell of it is a pet
peave of mine. For good measure.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html