Subject: Re: [Leica] bw with Epson 2200...follow-up
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:38:13 -0800

I think matte paper is the way to go with inkjet. People with darkroom
experience instinctively reach for the gloss or semigloss but somehow
inkjet shines with matt. That's what I think. And I think that's become
the smart fine art inkjet consensus. Its not unheard of platinum
printing is on matt as well as most alterative processes.

Lea, I think you got off to a bad start had you started out using some
nice matte paper and all the inks instead of all those prints with just
the black inkpod you'd be howling majestically instead of whining
adamantly .

Actually I'm not sold on the 2200 as a printer either for my black and white.
Or that it could do color and black and white BOTH. Two printers might
be necessary for me and I've seen on the internet many with a 2200 have
2 2200's.
That's why they call them a "2200".
Hopefully not meaning two to many 2200's!

Ansel preached the print which was nether cold nor warm but "silver" in
tonality and it sold me.
But only hard core printers and the ones which agreed with that worried
about that.
Now all of a sudden we have this new printer, the 2200 and people who've
barely been aware of that cult or condition are now honed in on any non
neutral color their monotone prints might have. Personally I do lots of
stuff with duotone files now. Options I'd love to have had into the wet
darkroom. Cool shadows but warm highlights and so on. Pantone #48585
shadows.  Tritones and quadtones. And they print like what you see on
the screen. And if they don't its less of a big deal than with the
"monochrome" thing.

I'm going to try my greyscale printing with my 2200 on this Museo 100%
cotton paper 11x17 2 bucks a sheet and if that doesn't knock me off my
feet I'm going to start ordering some fancy quadtone inks for my 1200
which sits on the bench waiting to play and has never let me down in the
crunch doing anything. I'd used MIS quads in there before but now like
with the 2200 there are so many exciting "B&W" Inkset options. As in
cold to warm. My 2200 with have plenty to do with my RGB files.

I cant wait till they make in interface with wet Black and white
darkroom parameters:

1. Selenium 1:8 instead of 1:31
(more purple, there would have to have some magenta in the ink mix)

2. Make that hot Selenium with continuos agataion. (a lot more purple)

3. A dash of Benzisotriazole to my Dektol please.

4. Make that B&B solution instead!

5. Ilford Varigram with Selectol soft

6. Potassium carbonate instead of sodium carbonate (will make it a tad warmer)
add some Glycin and a few more minutes to that kodabromide

and so on and so forth.
Paper parameters
developer
developer additives
developer tweaks, dilutions and extended times.
Toners with aproriate dilutions and temperatures.
The interface supposedly knows how each developer with toner acts with
each paper.

Drying paper prints with heat make them go colder.
Gone crazy yet?

That would be  a real kick of course it would never happen but if it did
they guy would make millions.
... make that thousands.
Software which could be put together by a pre high schooler. (of the
Geek school)
I'd buy that! even if it cost as much as a "RIP."
and not a "rip-off"!

PS I stick to darkroom Ilford and there are plenty of options and a
stack of prints are exactly the same size. Surprising I know this would
be an issue to make me not experiment with Bruguel or Bosh paper and so
on tempting as they are.

But in this new world of inkjet some of these internet digital printing
Gurus have turned me on to the wealth of quality papers which they say
will work with the 2200. In other words pigment not dye. It's like water
color or intaglio printing if you've done that. Let's not forget both
wet darkroom printing and inkjet are just two of dozens of printing techniques.
I say if you can't bite it Gum Print it to death!
	woof!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html