Subject: RE: [Leica] Rating film
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 07:24:11 -0500

Matt,
I really think that someone is giving you some very poor advice.  Unless
your Velvia slides are thin with no blacks then underexposing this film
will give you very thick images.

As to the B&W, many people rate Tri-X at 800 with little change in
shadow density so all downrating this will do is burn out all the
highlight detail (or make you work much harder in printing).

So, why not do what Mark suggested, set up a typical scene that you
would actually shoot and run a two stop bracket in half stops?  Keep
your development the same and see which exposure gives you negatives
that print like you like.  Pay attention to highlights and shadows when
evaluating.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com