Subject: Re: [Leica] acting blind, redux :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:25:45 -0800

Don Dory said:
> Liam,
> If you have either a Leica 35 Summicron then you can sell that for
> $600-$900 depending on condition and version and acquire the Cosina 35mm
> F1.2 for the mid $800.  This is a very well built lens that optically
> delivers the goods.<<<<

Hi Liam,
Words of wisdom from Don if you can put the dollars together as it's a good
buy and an excellent lens for available light photography wide open such as
you're shooting.

I use it and only wished I'd had it earlier this year on the Women in
Medicine book. I've used a 35 Summilux 1.4 since 1967 and yep 1.4 to 1.2
isn't much, but the C/v is also an Aspheric so it gives a bit of an edge
over the Summilux wide open.

Of course if money is no object the Lecia 35 1.4 Summilux Aspheric is nice
because it's a continuance of Leica gear. However, one on one C/V to Leica,
would you see an immediate difference with the naked eye? Not that we've
seen around here on 11X14 prints.

I suppose under some lighting conditions on a test bench you might see some.
But in reality on an assignment? Nope!

Sandy has the 35 1.4 aspherical Leica and we've done shoots in the same
location, same lighting, subjects etc. and we haven't seen any difference.
She paid something like $3 grand plus for hers and I paid around $800+ for
the C/V.;-) Oh yeah it's a teensy bit faster also. ;-)

ted