Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Wide Angle Lenses
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:40:17 -0800

At 10:05 AM -0800 1/19/04, SML wrote:
>Hello,
>
>   I am in the market of a wide angle lens which I might need to use when I
>travel in Europe.  I have never used one wider than 35mm.  Can I get
>educated on optical quality of various wide angle lenses which might be
>suitable for my intended use?  I use M3 and SL (or RE with winder), which
>means comments on either for M or R are welcome.
>
>Best Wishes,
>David Lee

There are many fine WA lenses available for the M or R, but many more
good ones for less money for the M. This is partly due to Cosina's
entrance in the market, and partly due to the fact that it is easier
to design high quality WA lenses for the M than for any SLR.

If you aren't that sure about how much you might like or use a wide
angle lens, I suggest you get a Voightlander (Cosina).

I wouldn't suggest the 28's, as they are too close to the 35 (that
you have, I gather). So... the V-C 25 is very inexpensive, quite
good, but not rangefinder coupled. The 21 is just as tiny, has
rangefinder coupling and is bettered only by the 21/2.8 Elmarit ASPH
and way cheaper. The 15 and 12 are out there, but not that practical
as your next step wider than 35.

As a travel lens the 21 V-C is hard to beat, and is a reasonable step
as a wider lens if you have a 35.

I often carry a pre-ASPH 35 Summicron, a 90 Tele-Elmarit and the 21
Skopar for walking around. A very handy mini-outfit. I also have the
21/2.8 ASPH and a 21/3.4 SA, and have no hesitation in using the 21
Skopar in place of those lenses. At all apertures, the Skopar is
extremely close to ASPH the Elmarit in performance; something which
is not as true vis-a-vis the 35 ASPH and pre-ASPH Summicrons, and
even less so with the 90's.

I use other WA as well, including the 12 and 15 V-C lenses, as well
as a number of similar angle lenses for other systems and formats,
and the 21 Skopar stands out as a particularly good value as well as
being easy to handle and small.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design