Subject: Re: [Leica] What's new?
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:37:25 -0800

Has anyone used it?  Costco had one on a coupon sale and I almost bought it.
From what I have found out searching around, it does indeed do a nice job,
but the ink costs are rather stagering.  We have some of those 5550 printers
at school that use some of the same ink cartridges (not the Gray scale one),
and I have noticed that they go through ink like crazy.  They are not very
large.  Since I am in charge of keeping them in ink, it is something I
noticed early on.  At first I thought it was because of HP's tendency to
supply the printers with half charged cartidges when new, but the trend has
continued well into their 2nd and 3rd rounds of ink.  Those same people used
much less with their old printers.  I would suspect the gray scale cartridge
would run out very fast as it has 1/3 the ink the standard black for each
shade of gray.  I found one person, I believe on photo.net, who commented he
got about 10 prints from a cartridge.  Not sure of the price, but that's a
lot of ink.   Just something to be aware of.  It was enough for me to pass
on the printer for B&W printing.

Aram