Subject: RE: [Leica] how much is a 6.8 opening?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:28:47 -0500

Simon,
First, congratulations on getting out of your F5 while prices were still
reasonable.

Now I understand the images that you have posted.  Coming from
telephoto's you are accustomed to nothing in the background being in
focus and standing 10 meters away.  Coming from the raptor world and
entering the land of the prey beast is a hard transition.

My best suggestion when using the wider focal lengths is to see
everything in the same light as you just lost your only engine at 3000
meters: you are looking for a sorta level clear spot while watching your
descent rate, horizon, air speed, deciding on when to balance flaps vs.
airspeed vs. distance to your goal, talking on the radio, and reassuring
your passenger(s) that it will turn out OK.

Using a lens with significant DOF you identify the main subject, level
the horizon, and check the background so that when events support your
image you trip the shutter or move around so the background does add to
the image.

I think the above is why I take to the M system.  Looking through the
window, I can decide what is in the image because I can see everything.
It also explains why so many have difficulties with a rangefinder:
without a very good knowledge of what a lens will do at a set aperture
the image will never turn out as you saw it.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com