Subject: [Leica] PWIFLI: Back to Venice
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:57:59 -0800

You know how it is. You take a bunch of pictures while traveling.  Then you
get tired and don't scan all the good ones.

This week I returned to the images of my Italian trip in the spring of
2001.  This image was taken in a church next to the Rialto Bridge, on the
San Marco side of the Grand Canal.  An orchestra that specializes in
Vivaldi (who else?) is headquartered there, and the church has a fantastic
collection of string instruments on display.  I took many shots of those,
but also this one:

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/MadonChildChant.htm

M4-P, 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron, 1/30 or 1/15 at f/2.  Kodak Supra 400,
desaturated. Best viewed full screen.

The lighting was weird--very dim, and a mix of incandescent and bluish
light.  I made the B&W version by running the color scan through a
(digital) blue filter.  It made a more dramatic picture, and brought out
the features on the statues.  You can see original the color version by
clicking on the link at the bottom of the page.

Which version do you like better?

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] PWIFLI: Back to Venice)