Subject: RE: [Leica] The Future of the Film-Based Equipment Shop
From: "Jim Shulman" <jshul@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:04:26 -0500

Re: McIntosh--I was referring to the Binghamton, NY variant--a company that
has continuously produced superb audio equipment for more than half a
century.

The shop I visited this morning had quite a variety of McIntosh equipment,
including an M3-era MX110 pre-amplifier/tuner combination, and MC-240 stereo
power amplifier.  All vacuum tube gear from that period, of course.  The
more recent McIntosh pieces are either solid state or vacuum tube.  Also as
with Leica, current production is top quality at a premium price.

The name does imply some thrift: with McIntosh gear, you buy it once and
enjoy it for decades, with only occasional routine maintenance.  Similarly,
I had lunch the other day with a friend who bought her Leica M3 in 1959, and
still uses it daily.

Which begs the question: how many of the Macintosh computers of 2004 will be
considered desirable, if indeed functional, in 2044?

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA