Subject: [Leica] Re: Niche markets
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:05:12 EST

In a message dated 2/1/04 7:52:45 AM, owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
writes:

<< I have a good friend who teaches photography at an arts college in
Denmark. For his own work, he is now doing largely digital. When I
visited him at Christmas, I asked him if the school still had its
darkroom with several Jobos and enlargers. Much to my surprise he said
yes--it appears that the people who come to his courses want to learn
the craft of traditional photography and not digital.  >>

My wife, an excellent artist, creates beautiful images using ground up
pigments suspended in oil and applied to canvas with brushes made from the hair of
some unfortunate animal. The elements of her craft were laid down a millennium
ago, probably inspired by 10,000 year old scrawls on cave walls. Art schools
still teach these techniques. When I ask my wife if she would care to use one
of my Leicas to take a picture, she sniffs "What's the challenge in that? You
push the button and Kodak does the rest."

Larry Z

P.S. She will use my digital camera to record a scene she can paint later.
She claims that it is just note taking.