Subject: Re: [Leica] The Future of the Film-Based Equipment Shop
From: Bob Haight <rhaightjr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:30:00 -0800 (PST)

There will not be any camera stores in the future,
none at all. Camaras are being sold as periferals to
computers and now cell phones. In the not too distant
future, if not now, everyone will be buying their
cameras from Dell or Hewett-Packard. What many people
don't seem to see, is that cameras are becoming less
and less important as a result of digital capture. All
the images are of the same quality, no matter what you
use. This is not a slight, just the truth. Note the
chap, who just bought a kit including the digital
Canon Rebel for $999, USD, and now he  is tossing all
his Leica gear. The need for a specialed camera store
is really gone away. I bought the Canon S50 and
frankly that is the only camera anyone needs for
digital capture. Images on the computer are, frankly,
incredible. I beat this other guy out as my set cost
$495. Where do we go from here, who knows. I do know,
though, one cannot take a slide with digital, nor
enjoy a wet BW print coming to life. Harping on this
venue about digital, is what we already, know.