Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W copy work
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:59:01 -0800

Phong asked:
Subject: [Leica] B&W copy work

> In helping sorting thru his stuff, I found some old B&W photos,
> some quite old (70, 80+ years) that I'd like to make copies
> of.  I can do it both in film or digitally, though the output
> will be digital (prints from a Piezography printer.  (Besides,
> some of the photos could use some Photoshop restoration work).
> I took a first stab at it by using a macro lens on my digital DSLR,
> the result is ok, but is quite low in contrast.  I use a studio strobe
> with a softbox because that's what I have to provide even lighting.
> I would like to make high quality, small prints (4"x6", 5"x7").
> The original prints are small (3.5"x5.5", 4"x6" or thereabout) and are in
> reasonable shape, though of course lack the details provided by
> modern lenses.  What's the best way to tackle this copy work ?
> How do I improve the contrast ?<<

Hi Phong,
I recently copied a couple hundred, very old family photographs by using a
flat bed scanner and right into the computer. It was a simple, quick no fuss
no muss event. And because some of the originals required Photoshop fix up
they were saved into computer repaired and printed for relatives. The new
prints looked better than the originals must have looked 80 - 100 years ago.

It's certainly faster and easier than copying each with any kind of camera,
film or digital.

ted